There are some specific accessories we recommend for using your PlayaDome at Burning Man. These can all be purchased separately along with other accessories, but to make things simple for you, we do offer a PlayaDome Package. These kits include sticky-back Velcro, extra poles and Grip Clips, tape and a sunshade.
All our domes are very strong and perform well at Burning Man, however due to specific geometries, some are stronger than others- these are the 10 foot, 18 foot, and 30 foot sizes. Since winds can be very strong on the playa, make sure to read our important Wind Warning.
Prices for PlayaDome Packages and what it included:
|PlayaDome Package||Dome||Velcro||extra poles||extra Grip Clips||Sunshade||price|
|10′ Package||10′ Dome||8 yards||4||8 regular Grip Clips||one 12’x16′ shade||$693|
|14′ Package||14′ Dome||8 yards||4||8 regular Grip Clips||one 12’x16′ shade||$878|
|18′ Package||18′ Dome||8 yards||4||8 regular Grip Clips||one 12’x16′ shade||$1040|
|20′ Package||20′ Dome||8 yards||4||8 regular Grip Clips||one 12’x16′ shade||$1202|
|30′ Package||30′ Dome||8 yards||6||9 Heavy Duty Grip Clips||one 20’x20′ shade||$2525|
|31′ Package||31′ Dome||8 yards||6||9 Heavy Duty Grip Clips||two 20’x20′ shade||$3714|
Included in each above package is 20 Yards of Translusant UV Stable Tape
Items you should consider adding to your shelter other items that you can get at Home Depot or your building supply store:
These can be very handy to secure shingling and on the sides and top of dome and to clamp tarp floors to dome’s ground skirts. The best price we have found is on Amazon (search for Large 2″ Binder Clips: They come in boxes of 12 – Large 2″ Binder Clips made by ACCO #72100 Comes in a box of 12 for $5.29 from Amazon.
- Use Scotch Heavy Duty All-Weather Duct Tape (regular duct tape does not hold up in the sun) available at many hardware stores can be used to seal up unused doors, floor to wall or shingling when in extreme dust conditions.
- Apply tape to dome when it is clean and dry.
- Use only one door for entering and exiting your dome, and seal your other doors with tape.
- Attach sticky back Velcro on the door you use (apply when clean and dry – it takes about 24 hours for the glue on the Velcro to set). Consider using just one side of your door when conditions are windy.
- Tuck your dome’s skirt under your tarp floor and then tape your floor to your dome’s skirt on the inside of your dome.
- Weigh down your floor with all the objects you have (in high wind, wind will blow under your floor and lift it up shaking dust into the air. Seal the horizontal shingles with tape on the windward side of your dome and or any shingle that leaks dust.
Shelter Systems’ Suggested Life Support ideas:
We suggest these items to help with what you might need on your trip to Burning Man. You can use this list to put together your own kit.
- 14 – 18″ Stakes incase the ground is loose
- Strong Bungee Cords if you decide to set guy lines.
- Large Plastic Tub: to seal away cloths and other items away from the dust.
- Smaller size plastic tub (for gear, etc)
- Dust Masks: a must if you want to breath in a dust storm, you could wrap your head in a scarf
- Goggles: a must if you want to see in a dust storm
- Duct Tape: always handy (see heavy duty UV Duct Tape above)
- Baby Wipes: to get dust off your hands, face etc with out taking a bath
- Solar Shower
- Small Sledge Hammer: use for driving your shelters’ stakes when setting up your dome
- Rubber Gloves: if you use your hands the skin of your hands need protection against the caustic dust
- Battery Powered Light: on for camp, one for bike (a must to protect you from collision
- Extra Batteries
- Plastic Bags: to keep things clean; dust will be every where
- String, potential for lots of wind
- Extra Grip Clips: handy for any thing dealing with tarps wind etc
- Glow sticks: extra bike and walking at night; with out which others on their bikes can run into you
- Shade cloth: keep your dome cool; make a shaded porch area from your dome to your car’s roof rack
- Large heavy duty trash bags: to keep anything clean from dust
- A small first aid kit, including:
- Band-Aid (multiple size)
- Antibiotic ointment
- Aspirin or ibuprofen
- Ace bandage
- Any required prescriptions
- Ice chest
- Small camp cooking stove
- Can opener
- Tooth brush
- Water, you can buy ice there
- Other drinks (soda or juice)
- Canned food is great (can leave on hood of car during the day and by sundown it
- is piping hot and ready to eat, but make sure to bring can opener)
- Gatorade makes a powder to add to water–great when you really need to re-hydrate fast
- String cheese
- Chips and other salty snacks (salt will help keep you well hydrated)
- Oranges (keep well and full of water)
- Single serving soy/rice milk cartons
- Couscous (cooks instantly- good with canned beans or pasta sauce)
- Beef jerky
- Dried nuts/fruit
- Chocolate (keep in cooler)
- Salt,pepper,spices to add to your food